Goals of LEAD Peninsula
- Promote the region's unique assets, highlighting the Virginia Peninsula, while also delving into the interconnectedness of Hampton Roads and the RVA-757 Megaregion.
- Expose participants to the region's history, current challenges, and future opportunities.
- Build networks of regional leaders to positively transform the region, state, and country.
- Allow participants to utilize their unique strengths and interests to engage in the community in meaningful ways.
Profile of a LEAD Peninsula Graduate
- Knowledgeable about the assets, resources, and challenges of the Peninsula and how they fit into the larger region, state, and country.
- Committed and equipped to taking personal action to address issues they are passionate about.
- Able and willing to advocate for and serve as ambassadors of the region.
- Aware of how their unique experiences, interests, and biases shape their view of the community and able to see the community through different lenses.
- Empowered to draw on a network of regional leaders to address personal, professional, and business needs.
- Unified with their classmates and regional leaders to always act in the best interest of their community and region.
Barbara Monteith – Development Manager, Alzheimer's Association (Class of 2020)
“Participating in the LEAD Peninsula program was an amazing experience. I learned so much about the region that I didn't know, even after living here for 20 years! Each session is built around a theme and highlights different aspects of the region's economy. I also connected with some great industry leaders that I would not have met otherwise. Don't think you have to be in your twenties or early thirties to benefit from this experience! I highly recommend LEAD Peninsula to anyone who wants to learn more about the 757 region.”
Jenifer Spratley – Director of Marketing and Public Affairs, Newport News/Williamsburg International Airport (Class of 2019)
“I highly recommend the LEAD Program to any emerging or recognized leader as it is an opportunity to collaborate in an effort to improve many facets of the Peninsula. This is a rare opportunity to experience the inner workings of local organizations, ask questions about their operations and offer feedback. In addition, during the course of the program, you'll explore the mosaic of the Peninsula, meet other leaders and become friends not only during the course of the program, but potentially for a lifetime.”
Jeryl Hill – Engineering Group Manager, Science Systems and Applications, Inc. (Class of 2019)
“This is an excellent program to meet leaders on the peninsula, learn the interaction of many programs, projects, companies and non-profits on the peninsula and Hampton Roads area. This program provides the best cross section of insights into the peninsula in particular. The VPCC has developed this into a learning and insight program that the leaders in this area should take advantage of to the maximum extent possible. It is a minimum impact on the company, and provides a very high return on the investment for the company and the employees.” “The LEAD Peninsula Program is an excellent program connecting the local community businesses with the vast capability in the region. The program really opens your eyes to the capabilities, diverse businesses, and opportunities in the Hampton Roads area. You get insight at a depth that most of the population will never see, and how businesses can have a greater impact on the sustainability of the region. I highly recommend this program for company leaders, and emerging leaders within the companies, regardless of the size of the company, organization, or type of business.”
Chris Larkin - Senior Vice President Customer Solutions, ITA International (Class of 2018)
"What a fantastic experience!! This opportunity increased my awareness and knowledge of the Peninsula community, the businesses, non-profits and people who are working hard to make it better place to live. The LEAD program also provided a tremendous networking opportunity to meet like-minded peers and build relationships to further strengthen the Chamber's impact on the Peninsula. I would highly recommend this program to anyone who is interested in our community and desires to make a difference!!!
Overview of the Program
LEAD fills the need to Learn, Explore, Absorb, and Disseminate the portrait of the Virginia Peninsula!